Saturday 3 February 2024

The Campaign Paradox


As the regular reader of this blog might have surmised by now, I am something of a fan of campaign games. The ideas of linked battles, the movement on the map, the decisions of strategic import, and so on interest me. Perhaps I am much more of a big-picture wargamer than most others, I am not sure. The Estimable Mrs. P. keeps arguing that I think in the abstract, so maybe the interest in campaigns is a consequence of that.

Still, it is a little hard to find evidence that campaign wargaming is particularly popular among wargamers. I know that some campaigns are played (I could name a few blogs that report them) but, to be honest, most battle reports in the blogosphere, at least the slice of it that I read, are of either historical battles or of scenario games, with Neil Thomas’ One Hour Wargames as the source of choice.

Now, to be clear, I do not have the slightest problem with that. Again, the regular reader will be aware that I have indulged in not a few scenario-based games from OHW, as well as a few historical games. But the hankering after campaign games does not, for me, go away. Perhaps, as a solo wargamer, I have imbibed too much of the advice that, to keep the solo interest going, we need to move to campaigns.

There are, of course, campaigns and campaigns. There are sequences of scenarios, where the sequence is fought out step-wise, with results and casualties carried forward. Indeed, OHW suggests taking those scenarios and linking them. Then there are ladder campaigns, where the sequence starts with a middle-ground scenario and the action moves one way or the other until either the top or the bottom of the ladder is reached and the campaign is won and lost.

I suppose somewhere in this my ideas about narrative campaigns, where the detail of the map moving is ignored but the moves are conducted with reference to a map to decide where the next game is to be fought fits somewhere alongside these forms of campaigning.

The next logical step from narrative and ladder-style campaigns is probably to use a proper map, gridded or hexed, and plot out the moves properly. I tried this out with the Jersey Boys campaign and it did work quite nicely, but there is, of course, a bit of a penalty to be paid in terms of preparation. It might be at this point that some wargamers decide that an off-the-shelf scenario game is preferable.

Of course, as in real life, the complexity of campaign games is potentially unlimited. Jersey Boys did have personalities created for the officers, although it has to be admitted that most of the effort expended on this was rather wasted, I feel. It also made use of a proper map, with pins to locate the units, weather, and couriers. These latter bits worked quite nicely, although the invasion had to wait until the weather cleared.

At the most complex end of the spectrum are those imagination games where the action spans continent(s) and decades. These take a lot of work, I think, to set up and, if my own memories serve me correctly, a fair bit of effort to maintain. The gold standard in such campaigns is, of course, Tony Bath’s Hyboria campaign, as documented in Setting Up a Wargame Campaign. I have tried this sort of thing, and much simpler settings, but the sheer size of it tends to overwhelm me.

I am aware, as you might have seen, of most of the wargame books that cover campaigns: Bath, Grant, Featherstone, Hyde. But the fact remains, it seems to me, that campaign games are a thing that is more honoured in the breach than execution. That is, not many people actually carry out campaigns, even though they might like to in principle.

I think there might be a fundamental paradox lurking behind this. The idea of a campaign is to achieve an objective – capture Jersey, for example. The objective for the other side is, of course, a mirror image of this. However, the next idea along is that the objective needs to be achieved with minimal casualties because for each combat you might lose forces you will need shortly. The campaign paradox emerges.

The campaign paradox is that the wargamer wants to fight wargames, fairly obviously. In a campaign game, however, the idea is to fight as little as possible while winning the campaign. The nature of the campaign game, therefore, is to limit the number of wargames to be fought out, while maximising the paperwork. This is not an attractive proposition to many wargamers, I suspect.

Given the popularity of OHW, I was wondering if there was any scope for (and perhaps it already exists) a sort of similar book, packed full of smallish campaigns. A set of easily transferable campaign outlines might work. It would be the sort of thing that OHW does for scenario games, crossed with Featherstone’s actual examples of small campaigns.

Or, maybe, the scope should be bigger. The Featherstone games are, mostly, what could be termed grand tactical rather than strategic games. The introduction of strategy is, naturally, opening a whole extra can of worms, and there would be no telling where it would end. Nevertheless, it is fairly clear that generals of times gone by had strategies, even if they did not use the term (which seems to have got its current meaning sometime in the Eighteenth Century).

So, I open the discussion to the floor, if there is any interest. What would persuade you to get the maps out instead of starting another scenario? Is there anything, or do time constraints preclude such things? I suppose, somewhere in my mind, is the question of whether we have to dash on to the next wargame all the time. Slow wargaming, anyone?

20 comments:

  1. Yes, time constraints, the ability to leave the table set up for another day, paperwork, keeping players interested and committed in the longer term, plus, not doubt, other related concerns occur to me. Still, as you suggest, the idea of wargame campaigns seems attractive. My own thoughts would be to keep things as simple as possible in the name of playability.

    The idea of staging a solo campaign -- fictitious mid-18th century of course -- over a few months in the summer, when I am not teaching, for example, seems highly attractive. In theory, I have the space to leave the table and scenery out. But marauding cats and a teenager who does not always respect others' space or things mean that idea must remain on the mental shelf for a while longer.

    Currently, any games need to be set up, fought, and cleared away in one day, which is a large task to undertake in the time available. Perchance to dream.

    Kind Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect that this is a fairly common experience. The games can be played, but the stringing them together is a problem. I don't have any neat solutions, except training the cats not to maraud - probably easier than the teenager!
      Simplicity does seem to be the key, but achieving it is difficult.

      Delete
  2. Very interesting post. I think I need to think some more about this...I would agree that campaigns are relatively rare in the blogosphere, although certainly not unknown. I think the most popular versions are the 'following the group' movie type campaign scenarios (i.e. you generate your platoon/section and follow it through a number of battles - these generate identification and perhaps a little resource management, but veyr rarely any strategic choice) and the 'pint-sized campaign' popularized by Too Fat Lardies, with a set of maybe 5-8 scenarios that might have an IF condition in a ladder in which results affect which scenarios are played, or in which order. Again, the choices tend to resolve to resource management than strategy. I think scoping campaigns so that they ideally last between 3-10 battles is one of the biggest obstacles: I have played longer campaigns (the Peninsular War, the Englich Civil War, the Gallic War) but they do take a long time and a fair degree of commitment

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Agreed on your points. The problem with linear sets of scenarios is you can easily fall off track and get left wondering what to do. I know there are mechanisms to deal with that, but arguing that friendly forces have broken through elsewhere or similar, while keeping the campaign going, is a bit arbitrary it seems. And yes, resource management rather than strategy, although the latter includes the former.

      Delete
  3. I suspect there is another paradox in the wargame campaign (at least, the traditional map campaign). The intention may be to add context to tabletop miniature battles, but the outcome is often to replace them with a strategic-level boardgame. The important moves are made on a map or grid, with pins or counters to represent the armies. When two forces meet, a tabletop action is played to determine the outcome, but it could be replaced with a die roll and a combat results table.

    Linked scenarios sound attractive, but carrying over losses to the next battle means that the loser from scenario 1 is likely to also lose scenario 2 (by a wider margin) and continue losing until the campaign ends. Not a lot of fun for one of the players.

    I have had some success with a very diluted version of carrying-over losses for OHW. Each player has a pool of units (say, 4x Foot, 2x Horse and 1 of each other type); if a unit is destroyed in one game (takes all 15 hits), and is back on the field in the next game (because the roll for forces requires it), then it starts the next game with 3 hits already applied. These 3 hits represent losses not yet replaced.

    Beyond that, I just create a narrative description of how one scenario follows the next, e.g. after the blue army seized both crossings over the river, the blue advance guard rushed forward to seize the next town, but bumped into a much larger red force and was forced into a fighting retreat back toward the rest of the blue army. That explains how Blue shifts from attack to defence despite winning the last battle.

    If someone has devised a better answer, I'd love to play it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, agreed. The paradoxes can start to abound. I guess with linked scenarios reinforcements are key, but that too fells a bit arbitrary. Creating a believable narrative to fit events into is a good way forward, I think, and saves a lot of paperwork, as do your ideas about using the OHW system with reduced unit hits - that can be recorded on the battlefield without having to consult a list.

      Delete
  4. A very interesting post. The majority of my campaigns would fall into the grand-tactical category, stringing together a series of games often using the ladder-style or control of areas approach. But the idea of a OHW approach to campaigns is interesting. Whether it would be possible to hone down a strategic campaign onto a couple of pages with a generic map, narrative, and decisions that initiate a handful of battles influencing the campaign’s outcome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It might be possible -something like my recent ACW Greeks campaign, where an overall strategy was decided on for both sides, forces deployed to match and then the moves and battle took place, at least until one strategy had clearly failed and it was time for a rethink. If I had added in reinforcements the whole strategic cycle could have been redone, I suppose. So honing down can be done I think, but at the cost of abstracting, a step perhaps too far for some.

      Delete
  5. I'm a card-carrying member of the campaigns sound good in theory but fizzle out in practice brigade!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to confess that rather more of my campaigns fail to get off the ground than those which succeed. Complexity is usually the culprit.

      Delete


  6. kieth ross

    From:
    franklinjock@yahoo.com.au
    To:
    franklinjock@yahoo.com.au

    Sun, 4 Feb at 4:00 pm

    Hmmmm.....yes....I think you have hit the nail on the head with this one - a lot of wargamers, myself included, like the IDEA of a campaign - but the logistics of actually doing one make it less attractive!
    Our informal group of gamers has spoken of an ECW campaign several times over the last two decades, but nothing has ever eventuated.
    I have only played a campaign once, and it was a commercially arranged one - via a set of Canadian rules called Habitants and Highlanders. the setting was the FIW and the game covered the whole period of the SYW, with the French having more and better troops in the first two years of the game, but the British gradually building up to parity by the third year then overtaking the French as the game progressed. There was an A4 sized campaign map provided and counters were made by cutting out the markers from the rule book and sticking them to cardboard. There was a very simple system of moving "armies2 around - they were a pile of counters, of which the enemy could only see the uppermost - a very simple system which quite needly replicated the "fog of war" - as one could have a pile of say 8 counters advancing against 4, and not know if your 4 regular infantry battalions were about to face 8 units of similar professional soldiers - or - 1 regular battalion, 3 miltia and 4 groups of native warriors!
    In the middle of the game, if the British took control of (Newfoundland?) that was the end of any French reinforcements from Europe - so that by the final game of the campaign, I (the British) outnumbered my mate who was playing Mont calm by at least 2:1 and it may well have been more.
    I still managed to lose, as the Heights of Abraham had been mysteriously transformed into a very good approximation of the Western front, circa 1917, and despite a huge numerical superiority, I was unable to batter my way through the French defences - it was great fun though, which is the point of your post - but it was not too much work because all the thinking had been done for us by the Candian Wargames Group!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It seems to me that if a campaign can get going and not bog down it is remembered with great fondness. But the key is not to get bogged down and retain the fun element, rather than forcing the players into resource management, moving map pins and consulting rosters. This is not very easy to achieve, but if you can do it, as with your FIW campaign, it is a great achievement. Getting the working out how to do it done by someone else is a great boon, of course, as long as the rules are reasonably simple.
      Hmmm....

      Delete
    2. Yes, the rules were very simple - suited my mate and I to a T!
      Not sure how my email address got on there - twice, weird - I had a lot of trouble posting (after spending ten minutes plus on my rather lengthy reply) so rather than start from scratch, I copied it into my email and sent it to myself before restarting my lap top - which tends to resolve the "Your Blogger Connection Was Lost" issue that comes up every so often - so I guess I must have copied the address when I copied my thoughts to load onto your blog after the restart!

      Delete
    3. In campaigns, simple seems to be the best.
      As for the email address, sorry about that. I discovered something interesting about blogger, in that I cannot edit comments. On the other hand the addresses did not come hyperlinked, so shouldn't be harvestable by 'bots.

      Delete
  7. I have done both linear type campaigns (resource based) and strategy type campaigns. I did enjoy playing both but both have a bit of work involved that did not really justify using them to generate battles. I felt I could get the same enjoyment by just playing random battles, or by resolving the battles in the strategy game with a few dice rolls. But I do like the idea of some of the really simple campaigns that have been on some of the blogs these days (e.g. snakes and ladders). I think your idea of a book of mini-campaigns has merit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comments. I agree that often the effort put into a campaign does not seem to be commensurate with the wargame outputs, and that is a bit of a problem. But maybe mini-campaigns are the way to go.

      Delete
  8. Another very interesting discussion topic. Comments have been fruitful too.

    Having participated in campaign games (the two most recent with Peter (commenting above from Grid based wargaming), campaigns can be pulled off and fought to a successful conclusion.

    In one of these campaigns, Peter and I developed what I coined the "Solo Campaign Relay" to refight the French & Indian War. With me in the USA and Peter in Australia, I conducted and executed the strategic and operational aspects of the campaign using a boardgame before turning over any battles for Peter to resolve on his table. The system worked marvelously and we managed to fight through the entire war to a successful conclusion. Peter may have tired of fighting over the same ground at Fort William-Henry, though. Still, it was great fun. This campaign was chronicled on both of our blogs. If interested, the introduction of the concept can be found at,
    https://palousewargamingjournal.blogspot.com/2018/02/solo-campaign-relay-for-french-indian.html

    The chronicling of the operational conduct of the war can be read by clicking on the "Montcalm & Wolfe" tab under "topics of possible interest" on https://palousewargamingjournal.blogspot.com/

    There are many paradoxes on campaign gaming as well as a number of conundrums as well as a few zero-sum choices.

    These all might be better expanded in a follow-up post of my own. Or, maybe not since this takes away limited resources from gaming and painting...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Therein lies the rub, I suspect - limited resources for painting and gaming means that campaigns, while in principle a 'good thing' take time away from what we really want to do - playing wargames (I am not a fan of painting, myself).
      I am coming to think that simplicity is best, and ignoring the things we do not wish to model, such as attrition, logistics and politics, contributes to the simplicity. But warfare is an inherently complex thing, and so we are stuck in the middle with either not running campaigns or doing so and running the risk of over complicating things and getting bogged down.
      Perhaps the thing is that we have simplified tactical rules as far as we can, but not campaign rules.

      Delete
  9. I am mostly a solo gamer, so this may pit my answer on the far right of arc of the spectrum, but I design campaigns for all my games. I don’t tend to enjoy pitch up and fight games-they don’t feel real to me, or at least don’t give realistic actions-as the actions have no consequences. So, I currently wargame 5 periods, and as part of the project prep, I design and create a campaign system to generate both a narrative and battles. Don’t get me wrong, though I am no expert, It takes a little work and I did quite a bit of research/reading years ago to understand the tricks involved to generate a balanced campaign-that doesn’t become too much of a game in itself, but a enough to generate a sustainable and meaningful narrative. The last campaign I pulled together in just over a week, now I have the nack. And with this an understanding that some battles will not be fought, but so may are made, there is no lack of actions to play out. But as I said at the start, I only have myself to please, so design strategies are easy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm mostly solo as well, but I use scenarios and stand-alone games as a bit of a rest from campaigns. There is not so much to remember, I suspect, and not so many vital issues hanging on the outcome. Pulling together a campaign in a week or so is good going by my book; normally I only achieve that by simplifying manically.
      I do find a good strong narrative helps, and pushes the action along, even if it is not exactly logical. But the tricks to generate a good campaign would be interesting.

      Delete